While you have several choices for replacing just a few teeth, dentures in Fairfield are likely the right restoration for you if you’ve lost most or all of your teeth. Fortunately, we have many different dentures options, including dental implant dentures.Dr. Cuevas on Dentures Read Transcript
I was course director at the University of Connecticut for 10 years of complete dentures, so I know a lot about complete dentures.
I'll give you an example. I mean, I know of probably 15 different ways that an upper denture will bite into a lower denture depending on your jaw.
Complete dentures are so misunderstood in dentistry. Some people do very well, some people don't do very well, and a lot of the people that do well is they understand what's going on.
Even the best well-made complete denture functions at about 20 percent of what you would function with when you had your own natural teeth. It's better than nothing. I can help you guide it in that direction where you're doing well, but it is an alternative when you have to have your teeth removed, or you had problems with your teeth.
When you get really well-made complete dentures, nobody should be able to tell the difference. They should look like a healthy, beautiful smile.
There is a procedure that can be done that's called an implant-retained denture. If you have your teeth removed, you have no anchorage in your mouth anymore. These implants, you can put little attachments onto them, and the denture will snap onto the implants and give you some security so you're never worrying whether it's going to come out while you're chewing or speaking.
The best alternative is actually, it's called a fixed retained denture, where the denture is held in place and you don't have to take it out. So it's not a nightly thing that you have to take out every night. It stays in your mouth, fixed. It feels like your own teeth. You're able to chew whatever you want to chew. It feels like normal teeth.
No matter which one you choose, you’ll be able to:
- Freely reveal your full smile
- Eat in comfort again
- Speak clearly so others can understand you
- Enjoy a fuller-looking face
- Take years off your appearance
To find out more about the kinds of dentures we offer, call us today at 203-349-3537.
Enjoy a True-to-Life Smile With Implant Dentures
For a smile with a look, feel, and function similar to what you experienced before you lost teeth, we recommend implant dentures. Attaching your replacement teeth to dental implants gives you a:
- Strong Bite – Implants restore nearly all of the chewing power you enjoyed before losing teeth. Eat whatever you want, even a crisp apple.
- Healthy Jaw – While your jawbone shrinks following tooth loss, that won’t happen with dental implants. They stimulate your jaw much like natural tooth roots do, so your bone stays intact and strong.
- Secure Smile – Since implants are embedded in your jaw, they keep your replacement teeth firmly in place. No more worries about teeth that slip or shift!
- Comfortable Feel – Since your replacement teeth won’t shift, they won’t irritate your gums.
- Hassle-Free Care Routine – In many cases, you’ll care for your new teeth simply by brushing and flossing them. You also won’t need adhesive to secure them.
You may even be a candidate for a same-day smile procedure!
You Can Choose Conventional Dentures Instead
If dental implants aren’t for you, you can choose conventional removable dentures. We offer both full dentures to replace all of your teeth and partial dentures, which are an option if you have some teeth remaining. We can also provide you with temporary dentures to wear while your mouth is healing. Call Fairfield at 203-349-3537.