Choosing replacement teeth is more like buying a house than buying a new outfit. You’ll spend a significant amount of money, and you’ll live with the teeth you select for years – maybe even for decades. Because of this, you’ll want to choose the teeth replacement options that are best for your smile.
You have many options at Fairfield Smiles by Design. Dr. Cuevas will work closely with you and ensure you get all of the information you need to make your decision. Call us today at 203-349-3537 to schedule a consultation with him.
In the meantime, check out our overview of the options available to you.
Implants Feel & Function the Most Like Natural Teeth
Dental implants offer numerous advantages over other kinds of replacement teeth. One of the most important is their effect on your jaw. Once Dr. Cuevas places them in your jaw, they function like tooth roots. That is, they stimulate your jawbone when you chew, which keeps it strong and healthy.
With other kinds of teeth replacements, there is no stimulation. So your jaw begins to erode. You’ll lose about 25 percent of your bone density in the first year following tooth loss, and the erosion continues after that. Over time, this makes your face look older and less healthy.
Implants offer other benefits too, especially if you’re replacing most or all of your teeth. Unlike dentures, they will:
- Keep your new teeth securely in place without adhesive
- Not require any special maintenance
- Give you a bite strong enough to enjoy your favorite foods, including crunchy treats
- Potentially last a lifetime with proper care, though the replacement teeth attached to them may need to be replaced at some point
Implants are also versatile. They can replace any number of teeth, since Dr. Cuevas can use them to support a dental crown, a bridge, or dentures. You may even be able to receive implants and your replacement teeth in a single procedure!
We’ll be honest, implants will cost more than other kinds of replacement teeth and require a bigger investment of time too. But we think the results are worth it!
It’s also important to consider the lifetime costs. With implant dentures, for example, you won’t need adhesive, special cleaning solutions, or relining procedures to adjust the fit.
A word about dental implant requirements: You will need healthy gums. If you’ve recently had gum disease, we’ll likely suggest waiting several months before getting implants. If you’ve already lost bone density, you may need a bone graft or similar treatment to ensure your jaw is strong enough to support implants.
You Have Other Replacement Teeth Options
Still, we understand dental implants aren’t for everyone. You can also replace missing teeth with:
- Dental Crowns – A crown can be used to replace a single missing tooth. With proper care, a crown can last for many years.
- Dental Bridges – A bridge can replace several missing teeth in a row. Your bridge is made up of a false tooth or teeth (called pontics) attached to dental crowns on either side of your smile gap. Dr. Cuevas will need to remove dental structure from those teeth to prepare them for the crowns.
- Dentures – You can choose partial or full dentures.
To talk to Dr. Cuevas about replacement teeth, call Fairfield Smiles by Design at 203-349-3537 to schedule a consultation in our Fairfield, CT office.